Shaping the future together

Consumer info

What to do should you have a complaint

rightsIn the absence of regulation, redress can only be obtained through the courts. Where redress is being sought we strongly recommend consumers seek the services of solicitors. There is a branch of the legal profession whose members specialise in such cases, known as Personal Injury Lawyers and any local firm of solicitors will advise on this.

It is perfectly possible to mount a case with the help of a solicitor, particularly where the consumer is able to provide evidence of professional incompetence or physical harm caused to their hair and/or scalp.

Once on the road to the courts – be it via a solicitor or Small Claims Court (Citizens Advice can help with this), evidence is very important such as photos, consulting your doctor or arranging for another local qualified hairdresser or barber to certify what has been done to your hair. Some or all of this evidence will be useful to a solicitor in representing you. 

Though the Statutory Authority for the Hair and Barber sector, the Hair and Barber Council does not receive funding from government and relies solely on the voluntary registration fees of hairdressers and barbers. Consequently the Hairdressing Council  (trading as The Hair and Barber Council) has neither the resources nor indeed the legal power to act on behalf of consumers, and is able only to offer general information.

This however will change once the sector is recognised as the professional industry it is, by Government amending the current Act of Parliament from voluntary to mandatory.