Your Rights
What to do should you have a complaint

In the absence of regulation, redress can only be obtained through the courts. Where redress is being sought we strongly recommend consumers seek the services of solicitors. There is a branch of the legal profession whose members specialise in such cases, known as Personal Injury Lawyers and any local firm of solicitors will advise on this.

It is perfectly possible to mount a good case with the help of a solicitor, particularly where the consumer is able to provide evidence of professional incompetence or physical harm caused to hair or scalp.

Once on the road to the courts - be it via a solicitor or Small Claims Court (Citizens Advice help with this), evidence is very important such as photos, consulting your doctor or arranging for another local hairdresser to certify what has been done to your hair. Some or all of this evidence will be useful to a solicitor in representing you. If you know the name of the hairdresser in question - that is the individual stylist not salon - and they are registered with the council, a copy of your letter of complaint would be forwarded to them inviting their comments. This would then be investigated by our committee with one possible result being that the hairdresser is removed from the register.

Removal would not, however, stop or in any way restrict that hairdresser from practising as an unregistered operator. Sadly, less than 10% of hairdressers are registered. Though a statutory body, this council does not receive funding from government and relies solely on the modest voluntary registration fees of 10% of hairdressers. Consequently the Hairdressing Council has neither the resources nor indeed the legal power to act on behalf of consumers, and is able only to offer general advice