The self assessment tax deadline in approaching fast!

Are you self-employed or renting a chair or space in a salon?

If you’re self-employed or rent a chair or a space in a salon and earned over £1000 between 6 April 2022 and 5 April 2023 you may need to tell HMRC about any money you’ve earnt. The process for telling HMRC and for completing a tax return is called Self Assessment.

You can easily check if you need to send a tax return using an online tool on GOV.UK which help you decide if you need to complete one, and will provide useful links to information you might need.

If you do need to do a tax return you’ll need to act quickly as you’ll need to register for Self Assessment, fill in a tax return and pay any tax owed by 31 January 2024.
If you don’t complete a tax return and pay any tax by the deadline then you may be issued a penalty.

How do I register for Self Assessment or complete a Self Assessment return?

The quickest and easiest way to register is to go online. Watch HMRC’s YouTube video on How do I register for Self Assessment which will walk you through the online process.

HMRC has other YouTube videos to help you including:

Starting Self Assessment
My first Self Assessment return
Self-employment tax return
Filling in your tax return

Further guidance is also available on GOV.UK on:

Self-Assessment tax return helpsheets
Understand your Self-Assessment tax bill
Pay your Self-Assessment tax bill

Getting help

There’s a wide range of online information and tools available to help you get the answers and information you need for your Self Assessment tax return and payments. Going online is usually much quicker, easier and cheaper than calling or writing to HMRC.

You can use:
HMRC’s digital assistant if you need to ask questions about Self Assessment or have a specific query. You can also ask to chat with an adviser, if one is available.
The HMRC app to check how much Self Assessment tax you owe (once you’ve sent in your tax return), make a payment and find your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR).If you need support with Self Assessment go to GOV.UK where you can find a wealth of information to help you.